I am an experienced transgender awareness trainer, specialising in public sector, higher education and non-profit organisations (including choirs). Since 2015, I have delivered training nationally across the public sector. I draw on my expertise in trans policy guidance and UK equality law, as well as on my own experiences as a library assistant in academic libraries, as a postgraduate teaching assistant, as a charity coordinator, as a student, and as a trans person.
My training offers attendees the chance to:
- Ask ‘stupid questions’. Trans issues are still beyond the working familiarity of many people – but they often remain afraid to ask for help for fear of causing offence. I establish a safe, non-judgemental space in which no question is unacceptable.
- Learn the basics. I cover the ‘building blocks’ of understanding trans and non-binary identities: what is gender? What does it mean to transition? Which key terms is it useful to know?
- Apply the basics. Training sessions are tailored to your team or organisation, so that attendees can see clearly why trans issues matter to the job they do and know how to put their learning into practice.
- Understand why trans inclusivity matters. I provide legal context, policy guidance and best practice, but also individual case studies – making the case for trans inclusivity from both a statutory and a human perspective.
- Build confidence and familiarity. The objective of the training is to equip attendees with the ability to react confidently and sensitively when they encounter trans issues in the workplace, avoiding shock or discomfort. Interpersonal interactions are often the most crucial factor in giving a trans customer, student, client or service user a positive or negative experience. Training is what makes the difference.
Training sessions can last from an hour-long staff meeting or learning lunch, to a half-day workshop, depending on your requirements.
AMOSSHE, The Student Services Organisation
Two workshops at ‘Supporting Trans Students’, March 2017
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Student services staff
Cruse Bereavement Care
Bereavement support volunteers
Customer Services Group UK (university libraries)
Presentation at ‘Developing Accessible and Inclusive Customer Service’, November 2016
Eye to Eye Young People’s Counselling Service
Go Higher West Yorkshire
Higher Education Progression Officers (school-based)
Joseph Rowntree Foundation
Leeds Beckett University
Human Resources | Student Wellbeing | Libraries and Learning Innovation | Disability Advice | Residential Team | Student Union staff | Sport and Active Lifestyles | Corporate Communications | Open sessions
Leeds City Council
Deaf Start Educational Interpreters
M25 Libraries Conference
Invited speaker at 2017 conference
NASMA (National Association of Student Money Advisors)
Invited workshop leader at 2019 conference
Welsh Ambulance Service staff
Out Aloud LGBT Choir
Choir members and committee
Sheffield Hallam University
Library staff | All-staff sessions
University of Central Lancashire
Student Services | HR | All-staff sessions
University of Hull
University of Leeds
Medical students | Library staff
University of Salford
University of Surrey
University of York
UX Libs (User Experience in Libraries)
Plenary speaker at UX Libs IV conference
York St John University
Human Resources | Services for Students | Open sessions | Business students | Sport and Active Lifestyles staff and students