I am an experienced transgender awareness trainer and consultant, specialising in public sector, higher education, heritage and non-profit organisations (including choirs). Since 2015, I have delivered training nationally across the public sector for clients including the V&A Museum, British Library, counselling and bereavement charities, the Natural Voice Network, and over 20 higher education institutions. I draw on my expertise in trans policy guidance and UK equality law, as well as on my own experiences as a member of HE academic and support staff, as a charity coordinator, as a student, and as a trans person.
My training offers attendees the chance to:
- Ask ‘stupid questions’. Trans issues are still beyond the working familiarity of many people – but they often remain afraid to ask for help for fear of causing offence. I establish a safe, non-judgemental space in which no question is unacceptable.
- Learn the basics. I cover the ‘building blocks’ of understanding trans and non-binary identities: what is gender? What does it mean to transition? Which key terms is it useful to know?
- Apply the basics. Training sessions are tailored to your team or organisation, so that attendees can see clearly why trans issues matter to the job they do and know how to put their learning into practice.
- Understand why trans inclusivity matters. I provide legal context, policy guidance and best practice, but also individual case studies – making the case for trans inclusivity from both a statutory and a human perspective.
- Build confidence and familiarity. The objective of the training is to equip attendees with the ability to react confidently and sensitively when they encounter trans issues in the workplace, avoiding shock or discomfort. Interpersonal interactions are often the most crucial factor in giving a trans customer, student, client or service user a positive or negative experience. Training is what makes the difference.
Training sessions can last from an hour-long staff meeting or learning lunch, to a half-day workshop, depending on your requirements. I’m currently delivering interactive sessions either online or in person.
I also offer consultancy to develop your organisation’s trans inclusivity, including:
- Policies: Developing a trans inclusion policy and/or integrating trans inclusion into your existing policies
- Procedures: Developing trans-inclusive procedural guidance for teams including HR, line managers, marketing and student support
- Problem-solving: Developing action plans to show that your organisation is trans-inclusive and tackle tricky publicity issues
- Authenticity/sensitivity reading: Reviewing book manuscripts, exhibition materials or other written documents to ensure their representation of LGBTQ+ people is sensitive and respectful